Thursday, March 14, 2013
The Falkland Islands, an archipelago in the South Atlantic off the coast of Argentina, is a self-governing territory of the United Kingdom. While Falkland Islanders comprise a tiny but very affluent population of about 3,000, from a philatelic investment perspective, the Falklands are of interest because they appeal to both British Commonwealth and Antarctic territories collectors.
From 1891 through 1902, the Falklands issued a set of eleven stamps (plus varieties) portraying Queen Victoria (Scott #9-18). Only 12,000 sets were issued, and Scott '12 prices the unused set at $ 650.75 . Usually, it's possible to find only single stamps from the set, so I've listed those with printings under 100,000, along with their Scott '13 Catalog Values for unused, below:
- 1892 1/2p Green (Scott #9; CV = $19.00 ; 40,000)
- 1891 1/2p Blue Green (Scott #9a; CV = $27.50 ; 60,000)
- 1894 1p Orange Brown (Scott #11; CV = $100.00 ; 18,000)
- 1902 1p Orange Red (Scott #12; CV = $ 16.00; 60,000)
- 1895 1p Venetian Red (Scott #12a; CV = $32.50 ; 61,980)
- 1896 2p Magenta (Scott #13; CV = $7.00; 73,980)
- 1894 2 1/2p Deep Blue- the key stamp from the set (Scott #14; CV =$275.00; 12,000)
- 1894-98 2 1/2p Ultramarine, various shades (Scott #15,15a,15c,15d ; Total 55,980)
- 1891 2 1/2p Pale Chalky Purple (Scott #15d; CV = $225.00; 40,000)
- 1896 6p Yellow (Scott #16; CV = $50.00 ; 12,000)
- 1892 6p Orange (Scott #16a; CV = $250.00 ; 20,000)
- 1896 9p Pale Vermilion (Scott #17; CV = $50.00 ; 18,000)
- 1896 9p Salmon (Scott #17a; CV = $57.50 ; 19,560)
- 1895 1sh Gray Brown (Scott #18; CV = $ 75.00; 19,980)
I recommend purchase of the set, or better singles from it, in F-VF+ NH, LH, or used condition. Few people were collecting stamps of the Falklands a century ago, and most of these stamps were probably used as postage and discarded.
Those interested in becoming part of an international community of stamp collectors, dealers, and investors are welcome to join the "Stampselectors" group at Facebook. The group hosts lively discussions concerning stamp investment and practical aspects of collecting, and is also an excellent venue for those who wish to buy, sell, or trade stamps.